Thursday, December 14, 2006

...pointless as arguing with a 3 year old

This morning at around 3 my daughter came into my room and started crying "HELP HELP HELP". I turned on my bedside light, which is usually the problem - she can't see to get to my bed.

Both my children have formed the horrible habit of coming into our bed at some point in the middle of the night. I don't usually hear or wake up when Aron comes in because he's quite and he goes around to Eric's side of the bed (he needs no light, apparently he's part cat... or bat.)

Jordan always wakes me by crying for "Help!" which, as explained above has to do with the lack of light.

This morning she continued screaming after I turned on the light. When I asked her what was wrong, she exclaimed through her tears that she was "Skired." I asked what she was scared of and she said "KC."

KC, one of our two black lab mix dogs was lying with his head sort of by the door way, she had plenty of room to walk around, but she was "skired" nonetheless. She made it over that hurdle and jumped into bed with me.

My mother came back from Washington state this past weekend and is in town for a month. Last night, Wednesday, was Choir night for my dad and I at church and Eric, of course, had soccer. The typical Wednesday is Eric and I meet at the Chiropractor's office around 5, get adjusted, transfer kids and cars, he goes to soccer and I go to church and meet my dad. There is a meal and then the kids play in the nursery with their friends while Dad and I go to our respective bible study hours. Then we have choir until 8:30 and we take the kids home and I put them to bed.

Yesterday my parents took the kids, and I met them at church. Mom decided she could take the kids home earlier because it tends to be a late night for them. She left with the kids around 7.

So back to the middle of the night, I notice as Jordan climbs on top of me that she is not wearing any underwear under her pajamas. Which I file away as weird, but don't think anything of it.

Then I roll over, and notice Aron is next to me... and he is wet... and my bed is wet... and he, too, is not wearing any underwear.

So I turn the light on, pick up Aron to take him to the bathroom and change his clothes. Jordan starts screaming because she doesn't want the light on. Aron wakes up and starts screaming because he was perfectly happy wet and asleep, thank you very much.

I put Aron in a pull-up, which he still requires every night. While I'm putting him in dry pajama bottoms, Jordan decides she needs to go potty. When she's done I attempt to put her in underwear (she does not require pull-ups anymore). But she starts screaming that she wants a pull-up. And at this point I am beyond caring just so long as they both shut up and go to sleep. Finally I get them dressed and in their own beds - which in and of it self was a battle.

Note to self - break bad habit of children joining you in bed at night.

Then I head back to my room where Eric has blissfully slept through this entire episode. And I turn on the lights and start stripping the bed, to which he awakes with a unenthusiastic groan. I change the sheets, he gets back in bed and I lay down and try to get back to sleep.

Funny how one's mind focuses on the stupidest little things at 3:45 in the morning. Like what I'm going to buy people for Christmas and how I'm going to afford it and how I'm going to word my journal entry of this experience.

I finally must of drifted off because I awoke to my alarm at 6 with, thankfully, only Eric in the bed with me.

I realize that since Mom has been gone for 4 months, she doesn't yet have a handle on what is just "known" as far as the kids are concerned - as in, Aron needs pull-ups at night, and the pull-ups are located in the closet outside the bathroom.

It's amazing how much one takes for granted as knowledge.

No comments: