Thursday, March 31, 2011

Caribbean Sweet Potato & Bean Stew

So as to make sure I'm giving credit where credit is due... This is from Rival Crock Pot Family Favorites (page 30).

It says it makes 4 servings and takes 10 minutes to prepare. I think it took me about 15.

Ingredients:
2 medium sweet potatoes (1 lb) peeled and cut into 1 in cubes
2 cups frozen cut green beans
1 can (15oz) black beans, rinsed and drained
1 can (14 1/2oz) vegetable broth
1 small onion sliced
2 tsp Caribbean jerk seasoning (I couldn't find this at my grocery store so I mixed together:
2 Tbsp dried minced onion (but I didn't have any so I left out)
2 1/2 tsp dried thyme
2 tsp ground allspice
2 tsp ground black pepper
1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
1/2 tsp cayenne pepper
2/3 tsp salt) and used 2 liberal tsp of the mix
1/2 tsp dried thyme (yes, in addition to the above)
1/4 tsp salt
1/4 tsp ground cinnamon
Salt and black pepper to taste
1/2 cup slivered almonds, toasted (in a skillet for a couple minutes on medium)

Combine sweet potatoes, green and black beans, onion, jerk seasoning, thyme, salt and cinnamon in Crock Pot slow cooker.

Cover, cook on LOW 5-6 hours or until vegetables are tender. (Mine cooked about 8 because that's how long I worked).

Adjust seasonings (wasn't necessary). Sprinkle with almonds. Serve with hot sauce, if desired (it wasn't).

All in all, a great meal!


- Posted using BlogPress from my iPad

No comments: