Sunday, March 05, 2006

Sunday Night

Well, it’s Sunday night, which means the end of another busy weekend and the start of another busy week.  No rest for the… mom, I think the cliché should say.  

This morning at church we were accepted as new members.  This was an interesting adventure with two toddlers.  Make no mistake, everyone now knows “the Stewarts”.  We were to join the pastor up front after the hymn of the day, which follows the sermon.  So during the song, I slipped out of the choir loft, went to the nursery and gathered my family.  Then after the hymn finished we joined another family up front to do our little “I do” response to the question posed.  The way it was worked out we were to stay up there for that little bit, the responsive reading of the creed and the prayers for the church.  Finally we did another little “I do, and I ask God to help and guide me” response and then we were ‘presented’ to the congregation with a “welcome.”  

First of all, when we walked into the sanctuary and the song finished, Aron shouts “PAPA!!!  LOOK!! RIGHT THERE, MAMA!!!”  Because my dad was up in the choir loft.  Then, during the prayers, my children decided they had no interest in waiting quietly in our arms while the pastor and the assisting minister prayed and the congregation responded.  Nope.  Jordan, who was first in her father’s arms, needed to get down.  I had my foot on the bottom step of the alter because Aron was getting heavy in my arms, so I had him sitting on my leg.  She got down and put her foot on the bottom step… just like Mama!  Then, of course, Aron wanted to get down like Jordan.  Eric took Aron and Jordan sat down on the step and slapped her lap like “okay, this is good.”  Which it was, for about a second and a half.  Then she scooted up another step, and finally to the top step.  At this point the only thing to do was let Aron down, I mean the whole church is praying!  We were going for quiet here.  So they both are crawling up and down the three little steps.  And at one point, Aron took off around the back of the alter while Eric raced after him (cracking up, I might add, he’s not a lot of help.)

Shortly after that it mercifully ended and we were permitted to leave.  By this time they were both very loud, fortunately this was the “passing of the Peace” section, so everyone was talking.  The thing is, the choir sings immediately following the passing of the peace, while the offering is collected.  So I rushed back with Eric to drop the kids off at the nursery and then rushed back to the choir loft so I could sing.  But I was late, and everyone was waiting for me.  One would think I LIKE drawing attention to myself.

Following the service, several members came up and A) welcomed me to the church and B) sympathized with me and having small children and C) shared their mirth.  So if nothing else, we provided a little levity to the service.  However, this being Lent, I don’t think levity is really want everyone is looking for.

Tonight I started a small group with the church wherein we are discussing a book during the season of LENT.  I arrived (as usual) a couple minutes late.  I saw a group gathering in the Fellowship Hall and assumed that to be my group.  I was not, however.  It was the wrap up of the church council meeting.  The pastor said “and I’d like to introduce Rikka Stewart” to which I responded “I think I’m in the wrong place.”  I was redirected and I parted with a “I guess I just feel like making myself KNOWN today!” to which everyone laughed and I got a “You did very well this morning.” of encouragement.  

All in all, not a bad day.  One more to record in the life with twin two-year-olds.  Ain’t life fun!!!

No comments: