Tuesday, September 23, 2008

Poor Health?

I'm tired all the time. I find it difficult to stay awake during the day. Granted, my work is less than stimulating. But I also find it difficult to stay awake while I drive.

The first step is probably to go to sleep earlier. I go to bed between 9:30 and 10, but I rarely fall asleep before 11:30. It is definitely a mistake to turn on the TV in my bedroom (it's probably a mistake to have a TV in my bedroom - but contrary to my situation, Eric needs it TO fall asleep).

Every weekday morning I get up when my alarm goes off at 5:50 and at 6 I meet my neighbor for a 40 minute walk around our neighborhood. When I return, I try to stretch for 15 minutes and do some situps. Often I fall back to sleep on the floor.

I've never been a real coffee drinker and I gave up soda/pop at the beginning of the summer. I do have an occasional (max 3 x week) sugar-free non-fat latte. But I've never needed caffiene as a stimulant and I don't really want to start now.

Every evening I make dinner (and clean up after, I'm proud to say). Since I've started cooking I've increased the fruits and veggies we have at dinner and gone more toward whole grains and organic foods. Generally I take left overs and a piece of fruit and/or yogurt for lunch the next day.

Since joining weight watchers both my blood pressure and cholesterol have dropped (significantly, even.) So why I am so tired?

Is it the few processed foods I'm still eating? Is it purely a lack of sleep. Is my exercise not stimulating enough to get the oxygen flowing? Or does this possibly speak to something bigger?

Whatever it is, I hope I figure it out soon and get over it. Because, frankly, falling asleep at the wheel is so not a good thing.

No comments: