Saturday, December 09, 2006

Thanksgiving in DC

Lots has happened, of course, since my last update. I’m sure that has to do with the fact that I haven’t updated in a while. But also, we took a family vacation over Thanksgiving and that was an exciting adventure.

Thursday before we left, Eric picked up the kids at school and someone hit the van while he was inside. They left without leaving a note or anything. It was an ominous beginning to our trip. Fortunately it was not a foretaste of things to come. The weather, however was. It rained all day Thursday and that continued for many of the days on our trip.

We left Friday morning with the van completely packed, including KC and Thumper who we had to drop off at the kennel on the way out of town. As an aside, this was their first kennel experience and we are told they did VERY well. And seem none worse for the wear since. Anyway, that’s Eric in the driver’s seat, me in the passenger seat, Jordan and Aron in captain chairs in the middle, Dad scrunched in the back, KC at Aron’s feet, Cooler and snacks at Jordan’s feet, DVDs/pillows and blankets between them and Thumper in back somewhere with my dad. It was an interesting 10 miles or so to the kennel.

The trip itself was fine. I think I took the first sleeping shift, which involved sitting in the way back and being able to lie down. Eric took the first driving shift, which left my dad to be at Aron and Jordan’s beck-and-call. They watched a lot of DVDs.

Somewhere around Ohio we stopped for a snack and Eric took the sleeping position, Dad took over driving and I kept kids contented. Also, I realized that I had The DaVinci Code Audiobook on my iPod, and my dad hadn’t read it, so we listened to that while he was driving.

I think it was Pennsylvania when Eric took over driving again and dad went back to the sleeping position. I think we left South Bend around 10:30 and ended up in DC around 9:30 or 10. We dropped off Eric at his hotel and drove up to Baltimore to spend a few days with my friend Debbie and her husband, Joe.

During our stay in Baltimore we visited Port Discovery, the kid’s museum and the National Aquarium in Baltimore, complete with a Dolphin Show. The kids were very excited. There are pictures on the website.

After a day of doing pretty much nothing we headed into DC for the remainder of our trip. We met up with the Cox’s and spent the rest of the week as our former extended family.

We saw the general usual sites (walked along the mall). We went to the Zoo (it poured). We stopped in the Natural History Museum (to see the Dinosaurs). The neatest thing was a 3-D movie at the IMAX theater called SHARKS! Aron got a kick out of that.

Shelly’s cousin lives in Virgina and graciously invited all 11 of us to Thanksgiving dinner. It was wonderful to go to a home and enjoy the afternoon with a family. They had 3 kids ranging from 2-10 and all 9 children seemed to really enjoy each other. The meal was fantastic and it was nice to be out of the hotel for the day.

Friday we drove back which was pretty uneventful. Dad and I got through more of The DaVinci Code. We didn’t finish it, however, until we got home and listened whenever we could over the weekend.

Eric had two interviews while he was at his meetings; one with Birmingham Southern College and one with St. Ambrose University. He hadn’t applied to St. Ambrose prior to the meetings, they contacted him. Since our return he’s applied there and to Regis College in Denver. We still know nothing, but we are ready for whatever might happen.

Since our return I have made the decision to pay a service to clean our house every other week. It’s really been a long time coming. They came for the first clean on Wednesday. I’m so sad I didn’t do this earlier. My house has never been cleaner. And it was such a wonderful feeling to get home after choir Wednesday night and find the house just… immaculate.

I think I mentioned already that Jordan has decided not to play violin, at least for the time being. I’ve been taking her lesson time instead and I am enjoying getting back into it. I realize I have a lot yet to learn and relearn, but I feel I’m making progress and that’s a plus.

Tomorrow Dad, the kids and I are headed to Chicago to pick up my mom (Grammie) who will be in town through Christmas. Jeff is also coming, I think next weekend.

The kids have their second concert next weekend and following that my parents, Jeff and the kids are going to drive out to Madison to visit Nilz and Kelly while Eric and I stay here and celebrate our 12th (yes, that is TWELVE YEARS!!!) Anniversary.

Everything else is maintaining the status quo for the time being. Christmas Shopping will have to be started soon.

We hope you all are doing well, and we’d love to hear from you.

Love,
Rikka, Eric, Aron and Jordan

No comments: