Wednesday, October 08, 2008

Heck of a Week!

Friday -

I had my weigh in and lost 1 pound. Which was surprising, as I was sure I had gained. That puts me exactly 10 pounds over my goal. I've heard the last 10 pounds are the hardest to lose.

Saturday -

I decided to do my pre-cooking for the week. I got up and was out of the door to the Farmer's Market by 8 a.m. with my list in hand and $60 cash. I found stuff there I didn't expect to (Mozzerella cheese) but later realized that it was definietly not low-fat part-skimmed or whatever. I also purchaed a head of broccoli for $2 and found heads down a couple of stalls at $1 each. But I'm learning. It's only my second time shopping there. I didn't take the kids this time, which helped me tremendously. I was done in about 40 minutes.

Then I went to ALDI to look for anything else on my list. They have milk for less than Meijer, but they only carry Whole, 2% and Skim. I usually get 1%, but I opted for Skim this time. As long as I'm not just drinking it, it's fine.

Finally I went to Meijer for everything else I couldn't find at the first two stops. I paid $46 for all three stops and bought enough to make 4 meals.

I got home at just after 10:00 a.m. and started preparing right away. Eric helped by grating the mozzerella and Jordan helped by cutting up the scallion greens I didn't need.

I got everything cooked and in the freezer by 12:30 and then we went down to the soccer field which houses not only a ton of different games but also a large playground that the kids enjoy. On this particular occasion the playground also included a small toad which they spent a good 1/2 hour following around and touching it's back (to make it jump) and then screaming with delight.

At about 2 or so we decided to head back because we wanted the kids to have a nap and they were asking for snacks that we couldn't afford. My neighbors were hosting dinner that night so I didn't have to cook anymore, which was nice. It meant that I too would be able to sneak in a nap, and maybe a shower since I'd skipped that step in the morning.

As we were driving back Jordan opened her door enough to turn the lights on inside the car. We stopped and pulled over as soon as we could so I could reach back and close the door. As I was getting ready to close the door Jordan reached out to get the door and her hand got smashed in the door. She was silent and Eric was screaming. I opened the door, she pulled her hand out and just started screaming. I looked at it and saw read and a broken nail. We decided to go immediately to the Urgent Care at our clinic.

By the time Jordan calmed down Eric was explaining to her that she'd probably have to get an X-Ray - a picture of her bones. And he asked if he could go into the picture room with her. She said "No, Mommy!" and he said, "But Mommy did it!" and she replied, "She didn't mean to!"

It took about an hour before we saw the Dr. and then she sent us down to X-Ray. When we got down there the technition asked who had done this to her and she piped up happily, "Mommy!" Aron turned to me and patted me on the chest, "It's okay, Mommy."

Sometimes my kids are sweet!

It turns out she had a teeny tiny hairline fracture on the tip of her ring finger (and a nasty blood blister on the end of her finger). The only real thing to do is tape it to the finger next to it, to make sure it doesn't get jammed and take tylenol for the pain.

So 2 hours and no nap. FUN!

The Smiths made steak and potatoes for dinner, which was wonderful.

Sunday -

On Sunday I had to sing at the 11:00 service and then a luncheon immediately following until 3. I got the kids up and took them to Sunday School at 9:45. Eric had soccer at noon and wouldn't be done until 1. So I brought a video and some toys and coloring/drawing items for the kids to keep busy until I could run them over to meet Eric at the field to watch the ND Girls play. Also I gave them some of the lasagna that was served for our luncheon - they didn't eat anything but the brownie.

When I got home I watched TV. And did laundry. When the kids got home they went down for a nap.

I made chili for dinner - it turned out pretty good I thought. And also sweet-potato fritters.

Monday -

So my reason for doing all this pre-cooking is that we had plans every night this week. Monday night it was Curriculum night at our kids' school. Fortunately Kevin (neighbor) agreed to watch all the kids and Ashley and I went to Curriculum night. Eric came for some of it too, but then he had a board meeting. Dinner turned out pretty good. I had it all done and mostly cleaned up in time to leave.

Tuesday -

Tuesday night it was Swimming Lessons (first session). Dinner turned out well and I got the kids out the door with all their swim stuff, stuff to take showers after AND pajamas to dress into when we were done. We arrived at where I THOUGHT we were suppsed to be right at 7 - class didn't start until 7:15. I had the kids changed and in and out of the shower by 7:13. THEN I find out that we are at the totally wrong pool (who knew there were two pools on campus) and that the right pool is on the completely other side of the campus. So I took my sopping wet children back in the car and went to the other end of campus and parked and shoed them across the parking long and up the stairs until I found a door that actually opened to the building.

We were about 20 minutes late for a 30 minute class. Oh well, now I know. On the plus side the kids got showers and were ready for bed when we got home.

Wednesday -

Tonight is church.

Thursday -

Swimming again, but at least I'll know where we are going.

Friday -

One of our fish died and it is in a plastic bag in my car with the receipt waiting for me to go get a new one, something I haven't had the opportunity to do with the current evening schedules. I told Aron maybe I'll pick them up from school and take them to the petstore to pick out the new fish.

BUT - I'm supposed to cook dinner for the Smith's Friday night, unless I do it Saturday. Eric is going to Indy on Saturday and invited us to go along, which would be a great outing. But I really need to clean the house and cook the meals and do the laundry and....

So I don't know. It's a crazy week, I tell ya!

No comments: