Saturday, September 06, 2008

More fish tales

When I got out of bed this morning (really only about 20 minutes after I'd been woken by my children) there was a bit of a crisis.

The fish tank looked.... different.

The big plant thingy was gone, the alligator and the statue were moved and there was definitely less fish.

Eric was so very very very upset. He was ready to give all the fish away.

We also noticed that the scale was moved from "safe" to "caution".

So I took some water and some questions to PetSmart to find out if I could learn what needed to be done.

The gist of it was that "your tank is cycling. you need fish to cycle a tank. some fish will die."

Ultimately we are left with 3 sword tails (Eric got two females Friday to replace the one female we lost); 1 neon tetra (3 died); 4 algae eaters and 2 blood fin tetras. We are going to leave it that for a little while and see if we can keep the fish we have.

It was an interesting weekend, but I don't know yet if Aron understands how close he is to losing his fish.

No comments: