Friday, September 12, 2008

Woohoo - nearly 10 lbs!

Friday noon is my Weight Watcher's meeting. I weigh in about 11:45 each Friday. This week I lost 2.4 lbs, the largest loss since the first week. That puts me at a total of 9.4 lost since August 1st.

Every Thursday the neighbors and we eat dinner together, alternating houses. Last night was their turn and she cooked this awesome meat for taco salad. I ate 22 points worth of food last night alone (my daily allotment is 21). Now I had the points to use (you get 35 extra each week to use however you wish). So I didn't go over budget or anything. But I ate the majority of them last night. So I find it baffling that I lost that much weight. Not that I'm complaining.

Another thing. For dinner one night this week I made Garlic Red Potatoes. This is 8 or 9 red potatoes, 8 or 9 whole cloves of garlic and a stick of butter. Throw it all in a saucepan, cover and let cook for about 30 minutes (stirring occasionally to prevent burning on the bottom.) This is not a low-fat snack. It's 4 points per serving (3 from the butter). It's heaven. I've had it for lunch leftovers twice this week.

And then there's other dilemmas with the whole watching what I'm eating. First - I like to take leftovers for lunch because then I'm not tempted to go out and buy fast food. Also, it's good to use up leftovers and not waste food. But generally dinners are a higher point count, so lunch should probably be a lighter meal (a salad would be good).

Second - I hate leftover salad. I also don't really like making salads. I'm okay with eating them... sometimes. I'm having a hard time getting in my 5 fruits/vegetables each day. Also having a hard time getting in my 6 cups of water.

Third - Weight Watchers sells 1 point yogurt, which is great for a snack and counts for a milk product (1 of two needed each day.) All sorts of yummy flavors, too. But each little thing of yogurt produces the waste of the lid and the cup - which I've generally been throwing away, so will show up in a landfill. It'd be cheaper and less package waste to buy a big 2 lb thing of yogurt and just dish out a portion to myself each day. But then it's just plain or vanilla and also more points.

Okay, so I'm not really complaining about my diet, I'm just contemplating how I can live a little greener, save a little more money and still lose weight without wasting food.

No comments: